25 octobre 2013

L'inséparable, mais libre oiseau sur la branche


    
                   


Like a bird on the wire, 
Like a drunk in a midnight choir 
I have tried in my way to be free. 
Like a worm on a hook, 
Like a knight from some old fashioned book 
I have saved all my ribbons for thee. 
If I, if I have been unkind, 
I hope that you can just let it go by. 
If I, if I have been untrue 
I hope you know it was never to you. 

Like a baby, stillborn, 
Like a beast with his horn 
I have torn everyone who reached out for me. 
But I swear by this song 
And by all that I have done wrong 
I will make it all up to thee. 
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch, 
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much." 
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door, 
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?" 

Oh like a bird on the wire, 
Like a drunk in a midnight choir 
I have tried in my way to be free.
- Leonard Cohen

Aucun commentaire: